THE DANGERS OF TELEVISION
By Dr. Ken Matto
Let us face reality, TV has become a part of life for millions of people. We have cable channels which teach us how to read and write, in addition to giving us 24 hour weather. We are inundated with a variety of entertainment which range from preaching the gospel to pornography. We no longer need to go to the movies because if we wait long enough, the movie will be on TV without much editing. No matter how many diatribes we hear against TV we are still going to watch it.
This monograph is designed to help you analyze TV programs you watch. As Christians we are to live a pure lifestyle, even in private. Does TV affect us? The answer is yes! Did you ever laugh at a sinful scene which you would not partake of in real life? To laugh at sin is to condone it. The media is controlled by atheists and globalist change agents. The news is totally controlled and we only receive what the big boys want us to. Let me share two quotes from media pundits:
“If we can start changing attitudes in this country, we can start changing behavior.”
-Grant Tinker, Former Chairman NBC TV
“Objectivity is a fallacy…there are different opinions, but you don’t give them equal weight.”
-Robert Bazell, NBC News
“Of today’s leaders…90% favor abortion…91% favor homosexuality …and only 14% attend any kind of church.” -Lichtman Rothman survey of Media Leaders.
If these are the type of people that run the media, the Believer better be armed with principles and questions concerning TV programs. YAHUAH gives a warning in DEVARIYM (DEUTERONOMY) 7:26:
Neither shall you bring an abomination into your house, lest you be a cursed thing like it: but you shall utterly detest it, and you shall utterly abhor it; for it is a cursed thing.
DEVARIYM (DEUTERONOMY) 7:26 Eth Cepher
This verse deals with idols and images which Yashar’el (Israel) was to reject. Is there a parallel? There sure is! The Assembly is spiritual Yashar’el (Israel) and the same mindset about idols and images is present today. Many fantasize about wealth and idolize movie stars. Satan is cunning and many of us have fallen for his TV snares. The thing to do when the RUACH HAQODESH (Holy Spirit) makes us aware of it, is confess, repent, and deal with it. Remember this principle:
TELEVISION PROGRAMS ARE DESIGNED WITH THE PURPOSE OF REPROGRAMMING YOUR MIND BY BREAKING DOWN YOUR DEFENSES SO YOU WILL ACCEPT A LIE AS TRUTH.
Many of the anti-SCRIPTURAL and immoral precepts are bellowed forth in situation comedies. They get you to laugh, then they put forth their principles and you have accepted their teachings without reservation. This is why much reprogramming is done through comedy.
HOW TO ANALYZE A PROGRAM
Does it Mock Scriptural Belivers?
The networks mock no other belief/faith but Scriptural Believers. Other religions receive an occasional non-offensive joke but it is open season on Belivers. Scriptural Believers is the only belief/faith in America which may be attacked without fear or reprisal.
What is the Focal Point of the Episode?
In October 1990, Bill Cosby had a one hour show which focused on one of his teenage girls and the subject was whether she should have pre-marital sex or not. The advice given was “wait until you are ready or wait till you are in love.” No mention of waiting for marriage. The focal point was to endorse pre-marital sex and leaving it to the discretion of the teenager.
Does it Glamorize Rebellion?
Does the show focus on rebellion to any type of authority, such as parents, police, teachers, government, etc.
Does It Glorify Controlled Substances?
Does your program send a message to you and your family that cigarettes, drugs, and alcohol make you more respectable? The majority of the shows glorify alcohol. The message sent is that you need alcohol to be accepted by others. The most blatant oxymoron on TV is that hard liquor companies are disallowed from advertising, yet almost every show displays drinking of hard liquor. If this is not an advertisement for it, I do not know what is.
Are there Occultic Overtones?
If the program contains subtle or blatant endorsements of psychics, new age themes, mediums, or portrays witches as good moral people, this is a satanic attempt to get you to accept the occult by dressing it up.
Are there Sexual Suggestions?
Are there any scenes where the actors and actresses are in bed partially exposed? This soft porno approach causes the human mind to finish the scene. It leads to fantasy and maybe a slave life to masturbation, visiting prostitutes, or even sex crimes. In these segments, how many references to AIDS do you hear about? Hollywood always portrays illicit sex in a Pollyanna fashion.
Are Sinful Lifestyles Promoted?
If homosexuality, lesbianism, or living together without benefit of marriage is portrayed, it is an attempt to retrain your thinking that these are just alternative lifestyles, claiming it is accepted by everyone else. WRONG, YAHUAH DOES NOT ACCEPT IT!
Is Violence Glorified?
Violence sells so it is a part of many programs. Many programs portray violence as a result of situational ethics, in other words, if a violent act gets me by, it is justified.
Is Vulgarity a Part of the Script?
Hollywood (Hollow-wood) now injects the name of Messiah as a swear word on a regular basis. On November 4, 1990 TBS (Turner Broadcasting) aired the movie, “The Final Countdown.” They edited out G-d’s title when linked with “dam,” but they left the name of Christ in when used profanely. This attack on the Messiah is designed to reprogram us to believe that Messiah is just another common religious name which may be used in vain. Have you heard on TV sayings like, “Buddha dammit” or “For Pope’s sake?” You never did and you never will. I had a small sticker created which I place on all my mail which reads, “J-sus Chr!st is not a Swear Word.” It will give people something to think about when they read it.
Is A One World Society or Globalism promoted?
The media is the puppet of a powerful group of International Bankers. Their umbrella groups are: The Trilateral Commission; The Council on Foreign Relations; The Bilderbergs; Order of the Skull and Bones et al. They are pushing a one world agenda on us, attempting to convince us that only a one world society will preserve us from war and famine, and other world problems they create with a phone call. The one world agenda is as sinful today as it was back when YAHUAH destroyed Satan’s first attempt at Babel.
Does the Program Push Evolution as Fact?
When evolution is taught on TV, it tends to be very persuasive to young people. If you support public TV, then stop, because their programs are detrimental to the cause of Messiah. They are your spiritual enemy. When programs are aired which show a clash between Scriptural Believers and Evolution, the Believers are always portrayed as religious idiots while the evolutionists are shown to be the intelligent, scientifically logically minded, altruistic people. Support Scriptural radio or missions with the money you give to Public TV.
Does it push Extra-Terrestrial Life?
TV shows like Star Trek or movies like Close Encounters of the Third Kind attempt to persuade us that life exists on other planets and that aliens will possess the knowledge man needs to survive. They portray aliens as having power to raise the dead, heal diseases, and control others through mental telepathy. All these are appealing to man who seeks eternal life without Messiah. UFO’S may be categorized under the occult, as these “space ships” emulate characteristics akin to demons, such as cold temperatures, anomalous motion which could never be performed by something mechanical but by something spiritual, such as anti-gravity. Only something spiritual can defy YAHUAH’s natural laws for the universe.
SIGNS OF TV ADDICTION
As with anything we do routinely, if left unchecked can turn into an addiction. People who become addicts did not start out to become an addict. No one who drinks sets a goal of becoming a professional drunk. If we start something which is detrimental to our Set-Apart walk, even on a small scale, Satan will make an attempt to intensify the drive or desire to bring this action into its ultimate state which is a strong hold in our life. QORINTIYM SHENIY (2 CORINTHIANS) 10:4 warns us:
(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through YAH to the pulling down of strongholds;)
QORINTIYM SHENIY (2 CORINTHIANS) 10:4 Eth Cepher
The words “strong hold” may also be translated “fortress or castle.” This warns us that Satan can create a hold on our life with an addiction to sin. A TV addict believes they must watch every show, and with every show they watch it intensifies their desire to watch another. This is a vicious cycle which is only broken by YAHUAHs power. Are you a TV addict or are you on the way to becoming one? Check to see if any of these 32 principles of TV addiction are present in your life. If they are, then you may have a satanic stronghold in your life.
1) You call someone to videotape TV shows that are on the same time the one you are watching and videotaping.
2) You watch a program with the anticipation of seeing a sinful act.
3) You enjoy the sinful scenes on the show.
4) You eat your dinner in front of the TV.
5) You neglect your spouse or family for a TV show.
6) You look forward to a TV show. (desirous anticipation) Do you look forward to next week’s Assembly?
7) You miss Shabbat Gatherings or evening prayer for TV.
8) You begin to role play the parts you see on TV on a serious basis.
9) Your conversation is replete with TV reviews and anecdotes.
10) TV replaces your Scripture reading or devotion time.
11) The family altar has been replaced by a TV program.
12) You know more about TV than Scripture.
13) No one is allowed to speak while the TV is on.
14) You begin to start empathizing with the characters the actors are portraying.
15) You rush home so you will not miss a program.
16) You watch TV late into the night consistently.
17) When company visits, the TV remains on.
18) You disturb others on the job by discussing a TV show.
19) You yell at the TV when a certain scene unfolds.
20) You become angry when “there aint nothing good on TV tonight.”
21) You let TV do your thinking for you.
22) The only book you read is TV guide.
23) You turn the TV on the moment you enter a room.
24) The TV is on when you are doing your chores.
25) You do not want people to visit when your programs are scheduled to come on.
26) When people visit, you wish they would leave so you could watch your programs.
27) You laugh at the very sin which sent Messiah to the Tree.
28) You have every premium cable channel like HBO, Cinemax, etc.
29) You constantly flip channels with your remote control.
30) You begin to adopt ideas and attitudes contrary to Scripture. (Remember change agents)
31) You find more pleasure watching TV than being with YAHUAH’s people.
32) You go nowhere but have become a couch potato.
Some Consequences of being a Teleholic
Staying home and watching TV isolates you from other people. YAHUAH created us to be social creatures requiring human interaction. Loss of human contact will cause extreme loneliness.
Excessive TV watching may cause depression because night after night you continually soak up the world’s idea of what success and value is. We begin to believe our lives, when compared with those exciting ones we see on TV, are really valueless and this type of thinking, when drilled into us daily, will lead into depression.
Our bodies were made for motion, not to sit in one place for hours daily. Our muscles and the rest of our body need exercise for proper fitness and clear minds. One can become obese, because incessant TV watching leads to incessant eating.
This happens when we watch so much TV that we have trouble separating reality from fantasy. TV can cause us to live an imaginary lifestyle, like believing illicit sex without consequences, social drinking is mandatory, you must drive an expensive car, etc. An imitation of a TV lifestyle can ruin a life.
Acceptance of Sinful Principles
TV shows are not written with obedience to YAHUAH in mind. As we are bombarded daily with sinful principles, we begin to accept the methods Hollywood teaches. You claim you do not accept sinful principles! Then why do you watch the same show each week. If you keep watching it, you are endorsing it. Soon you will be found opposing the principles of Scripture and even rebuking those who bring the truth and this will sow discord among the brethren and will sow confusion in the life of a young believer.
When a person believes they have no value, no friends, and that they do not measure up to the fantasy lifestyle they impose on themselves, they see no reason for living. They do not realize a satanic deception has taken place. If there was such a group as Teleholics Anonymous, their meetings would be packed more than Alcoholics Anonymous.
SUGGESTIONS TO HELP FREE YOU FROM TELEHOLISM
Realize It Is Sin
Satan has built a fortress in your life and this type of sin can only be broken by the power of YAHUAH. You must begin to bathe your recovery in prayer.
Get A Partner
Call someone who will pray with you and speak with you about your problem. Determine you will be accountable to them. Therefore, you must find a strong Scriptural Believers who will not shrink back, even if you do. Meet with this person on a regular basis, not just on the phone.
Devise a Plan and Put It Into Operation
The following is a suggested plan of operation.
1. Rise up earlier so you will be tired earlier at night, which means you will go to bed earlier and it will cut down on your TV watching.
2. Give your VCR to a friend until you are delivered from the stronghold.
3. Give your remote control to a friend as this will prevent you from flipping through all the channels from your easy chair. This will force you to get up from your chair to change the channels. This will also prevent you from watching TV from bed because it will then force you to get out of a warm bed to change channels or shut off the TV.
4. Have all the premium cable channels disconnected. This will save you about 500 dollars per year.
5. Discard your instant dinners thus causing you to cook your dinner which will pull you away from the TV plus you will be healthier. The amount of salt and preservatives in those dinners are unbelievable.
6. Turn your local Scriptural radio station on during the day or night. Let YAHUAH build a desire for Him into your life.
7. Start reading books to reclaim your thinking process which TV steals.
8. Make Scripture reading imperative and do your reading in a room where there is no TV or else you may be tempted to put your Scriptures down and turn the TV on.
Rearrange the house if you must.
9. Go out with your spouse or friends to Assembly or just for a drive. Rediscover each other.
10. If you must get rid of your TV, then do it. There are many Believer who do not own a TV and are happy because YAHUAH owns their mind fully.
The key to obtaining victory over teleholism is found in EPH’SIYM (EPHESIANS) 4:22-24:
That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
And be renewed in the ruach of your mind;
And that ye put on the new man, which after YAH is created in righteousness and true holiness.
EPH’SIYM (EPHESIANS) 4:22-24 Eth Cepher
In verse 22, Paul is telling us to put off the old man while simultaneously putting on the new man. If we just stop our old habits and do nothing, we will have a void which needs to be filled. Guess what we will fill it with. The old habits! So to prevent this, YAHUAH in His wisdom told us the key to overcoming sin is put off-put on. If we are going to put off television watching, we must put something in its place. For example, instead of watching TV, we will put Scriptural radio on. Instead of watching TV.
The key is to do something in place of TV watching or you will go right back to the old ways. Allow your partner to help you by establishing a schedule of things to do which require you to be away from the TV. Do not fight your partner, YAHUAH will use her/him to help you and this is what the body of Messiah is all about. If you are having extensive difficulty in your recovery, seek pastoral counseling.
PROTESTING A TV SHOW
1. Write to the network and the local station.
2. Start a TV watchdog system whereby some Believers agree to watch certain programs and then come together to analyze the results and then publish them in your Assembly. Some will not agree but there will be those you will reach who want to be obedient to YAHUAH. Try to get this type of group going in your Assembly.
3. Do not buy the products which are advertised on these shows. It is a very effective tool.
4. Start a community organization dedicated to better quality TV and get your local politicians involved. To a politician, voters are their lifeline, remind them of this.
If YAHUAH delivers you from TV addiction, there is no reason that you could not start a group like Teleholics Anonymous. There are thousands who are addicted to TV and would like to be free but lack support to do it. Addiction is addiction, no matter what type it is. Addiction is a controlling factor in a person’s life. People with strongholds in their life need help, maybe you are the one they are looking for. Think about it!
And ye shall know את eth the Truth, and the Truth shall make you free.
YAHUCHANON (JOHN) 8:32 Eth Cepher
Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
ROMAIYM (ROMANS) 6:18 Eth Cepher
An interesting e-mail sent to me:
A few years after I was born, my Dad met a stranger who was new to our small town. From the beginning, Dad was fascinated with this enchanting newcomer and soon invited him to live with our family. The stranger was quickly accepted and was around from then on.
As I grew up, I never questioned his place in my family. In my young mind, he had a special niche. My parents were complementary instructors: Mum taught me good from evil, and Dad taught me to obey. But the stranger… he was our storyteller. He would keep us spellbound for hours on end with adventures, mysteries and comedies.
If I wanted to know anything about politics, history or science, he always knew the answers about the past, understood the present and even seemed able to predict the future! He took my family to the first major league ball game. He made me laugh, and he made me cry. The stranger never stopped talking, but Dad didn’t seem to mind.
Sometimes, Mum would get up quietly while the rest of us were shushing each other to listen to what he had to say, and she would go to the kitchen for peace and quiet.
(I wonder now if she ever prayed for the stranger to leave.)
Dad ruled our household with certain moral convictions, but the stranger never felt obligated to honor them. Profanity, for example, was not allowed in our home – not from us, our friends or any visitors Our long time visitor, however, got away with four-letter words that burned my ears and made my dad squirm and my mother blush. My Dad didn’t permit the liberal use of alcohol but the stranger encouraged us to try it on a regular basis. He made cigarettes look cool, cigars manly, and pipes distinguished. He talked freely (much too freely!) about sex. His comments were sometimes blatant, sometimes suggestive, and generally embarrassing.
I now know that my early concepts about relationships were influenced strongly by the stranger. Time after time, he opposed the values of my parents, yet he was seldom rebuked… And NEVER asked to leave.
More than fifty years have passed since the stranger moved in with our family. He has blended right in and is not nearly as fascinating as he was at first. Still, if you could walk into my parents’ den today, you would still find him sitting over in his corner, waiting for someone to listen to him talk and watch him draw his pictures.
His name? …
We just call him ‘TV.’
Edited by GWT